[Wannier] On breaking the time-reversal symmetry of the Hamiltonian

氏家勇 isamuosamu1363 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 10:01:09 CEST 2021

Dear All,

I am using Quantum ESPRESSO v.6.4.1 and Wannier90 v.3.0.0.

I am currently working on phosphorene, a layered material of phosphorus
atoms, with spin-orbit coupling and an electric field in the plane
direction.

Wannier90 outputs an hr.dat file, which is then imported into Python for
calculations to reproduce the energy bands.
The outline of the energy bands calculated in Python appears to be in good
agreement with the bands calculated by Wannier90.
However, when I zoomed in near the Γ point, we found that the up band and
the down band, which should have degenerated at the Γ point, had split.

I understand that such a phenomenon is caused by time-reversal symmetry
breaking.
Is the time-reversal symmetry not conserved in the Hamiltonian output by
Wannier90?
If so, is there a way to restore the time-reversal symmetry?

If anyone knows, please answer.

Isamu Ujiie

Graduate School of Engineering
Hokkaido University