[Wannier] Format of UNK files

Hung Pham phamx494 at umn.edu
Wed Jul 3 01:55:30 CEST 2019

Hello Peyton,

I checked the plot.F90 which is used to generate MLWFs from UNK. There will
be a problem if UNK files from the two calculations have different grid
size and No. of k-point.
The number of bands in UNK (i.e., *nbnd*) and the number of the required
band = No. of MLWFs (i.e., *num_bands*) can be different. Meaning *nbnd* is
not necessarily equal to *num_bands*
The plot.F90 will read the first *num_bands* th band when constructing
MLWFs.
With that being said, I guess in your case, you excluded some upper bands
hence the first *num_bands* th band in both UNK files from two setup are
actually the same. I think if you exclude some core bands then the
generated MLWFs from different setup should be different.

I think if you're not sure which UNK file you have in hand then regenerate
them would be a good idea. Otherwise, you can read the No. of band in UNK
like the script I sent and check (still not 100 % sure which bands you have
in UNK file). But the problem would be two setup with the same No. of bands
(by excluding the same number of different bands) then I don't know how you
can be sure which one should be from which setup.

maybe other people here have a better practice.

Hung

--

Hung Q. Pham
Gagliardi Group
Email: phamx494 at umn.edu

Department of Chemistry
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN 55455