[Wannier] Constrain to the minimization

xiaochuan Ge ustc.scgyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 22:44:36 CET 2014

Dear all,

For example I have a conjugated carbon chain ( CH2-(CH)n-CH2) which I
expect to show two types of wannier functions: Sigma-like orbitals sitting
on carbon-hydrogen and carbon-carbon bonds, and Pi-like orbitals that sits
on two carbons. However, it occurs that wannier90 always mixes the Pi-like
orbital with one of the sigma-like orbitals in order lower the
localization. I understand this may produce more localized orbitals, but
the shape of them have less chemical meaning.

What I would like to do is to separate the occupied KS orbitals into two
manifolds: pi-like orbitals ( they look like the linear combination of
Carbon-pz orbital), and the rest. Then when we I rotate the KS orbitals in
order to produce Wannier functions I do not mix the orbitals between these
two manifolds.

I hope I have explained the question clear enough. Has this kind of thing
or similar already been considered in wannier90? Would anyone suggest me
how to achieve this? Thank you very much.

Dr. Xiaochuan Ge (Giovanni)
Center for Functional Nanomaterials
Brookhaven national laboratory