[QE-users] [SPAM] Convergence issue in spin-polarized SCAN calculation

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Mon Dec 25 17:42:17 CET 2023

Hi Michal,

these are two different problems - lack of convergence is not driven by
pseudopotentials, but by algorithms. CASTEP uses a variational
minimization, that is bound to converge, but tends to be slower - QE is
iterative. Changing pseudopotentials might randomly make your
calculations converge.

Generation of pseudopotential on the fly - well, you'll never know if
they have ghost states, or how accurate they are - it's a highly
non-linear problem.

nciola