[QE-users] Fermi-Surface Nesting

Chiara Cignarella chiara.cignarella at epfl.ch
Mon Aug 21 10:18:44 CEST 2023

Dear Kumar,

In order to make sure you have a nesting of the Fermi surface you should plot the nesting function (the double deltas function); the points where you see the peaks are the nesting points of the Fermi surface.

The  phonon softening in the phonon dispersion that you observe should be a Kohn anomaly. It is likely to be related to the Fermi nesting, but not straightforward.

You can have a look at some of the literature about, like for example  ”Johannes and Main PRB 77, 2008”, "Zhu X. Et al PNAS 2015", or more standard books like Khomskii “Basic aspects of quantum theory of solids”, Chapter 9 and 11.

Best
Chiara Cignarella

PhD student
EPFL