[QE-users] mixing distances

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Oct 18 12:04:18 CEST 2022

Dear Aleksandra
I think that your question is a bit ill-defined. There are cases where
your practical "golden rule" may be a good rule for, let us say two
neutral molecules having more or less the same ionization energy and
electron affinity (comparable HOMOs and LUMOs, roughly speaking), or
even two semiconductor or insulating slabs kept well separated and
with similar features. However, to provide an extreme but easily
understood counterexample, if you put Cl and Na atoms in the same cell
you cannot disentangle them even at a distance of 1 m :-D, as they
would like to stay there as Na+ and Cl-, with the actual distribution
of charge density strongly dependent on the exchange correlation
functional: in GGA you would likely have Na+, Cl and an unbound
electron spread across the cell. So the correct practical answer (let
us forget about theory) should be "it depends on the system, the cell
and the level of theory".
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting Aleksandra Oranskaia <aleksandra.oranskaia at kaust.edu.sa>:

> Dear QE community,
>
> Please suggest what is the "sensitivity" of PW DFT: What is the maximum
> real distance where wavefunctions of the subsystems mix in a way seen by PW
> DFT? What is the best way to verify it?
>
> My experience, if objects are separated by > 7 Angstrom, their
> wavefunctions do not mix. E.g. if dos1 of system1 and dos2 of system2
> (calculated separately for isolated system1 and isolated system2) ideally
> overlap with the dos of system1+system2 (calculated as a whole), can I
> conclude that systems are electronically decoupled?
>
> Thank you a lot in advance.
> --
> Best wishes,
> Al., phd candidate in chemical sciences
> 'I.. a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe' (Richard P. Feynman)
> https://cpms.kaust.edu.sa/
>
> --
>
> This message and its contents, including attachments are intended solely
> for the original recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or have
> received this message in error, please notify me immediately and delete
> this message from your computer system. Any unauthorized use or
> distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before printing
> this email.

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316