[QE-users] mixing distances

Aleksandra Oranskaia aleksandra.oranskaia at kaust.edu.sa
Mon Oct 17 18:13:07 CEST 2022

Dear QE community,

Please suggest what is the "sensitivity" of PW DFT: What is the maximum
real distance where wavefunctions of the subsystems mix in a way seen by PW
DFT? What is the best way to verify it?

My experience, if objects are separated by > 7 Angstrom, their
wavefunctions do not mix. E.g. if dos1 of system1 and dos2 of system2
(calculated separately for isolated system1 and isolated system2) ideally
overlap with the dos of system1+system2 (calculated as a whole), can I
conclude that systems are electronically decoupled?

Thank you a lot in advance.
--
Best wishes,
Al., phd candidate in chemical sciences