[QE-users] Oscillating volume in VC-MD

Andrii Shyichuk andrii.shyichuk at chem.uni.wroc.pl
Mon Nov 22 19:49:21 CET 2021

Dear Nikola,

Thank you for the suggestion.

The system is a lutetium oxide cell of 80 atoms, a moderately symmetric
crystal.

You are absolutely right, the initial geometry has the pressure
components of 0.01-0.03 kbar.
Does it make sense to try and optimize it until the pressure is zero?

 From this paper I can tell that Nose-Hover approach is a kind of
thermostat, which (apparently) is not implemented in QE for VC-MD.
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/pdf/10.1063/1.463940
I will look into it, but I was hoping for a QE-based solution.

Also, I've found the Wentzcovitch paper to be a very interesting read,
https://journals.aps.org/prb/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevB.44.2358

Here it is stated that Wentzcovitch cell dynamics uses the Lagrangian
from that paper:
https://lists.quantum-espresso.org/pipermail/users/2007-August/007052.html

I've ran some tests with Wentzcovitch cell dynamics to see if it helps.
Apparently, not quite: the cell also oscillates, albeit at a much lower
frequency.
Actually, the Wentzcovitch dynamics (cell_dynamics='w') n_step-volume
curve looks like an oscillating envelope of the Parrinello-Rahman
dynamics (cell_dynamics='pr') n_step-volume curve.

Best regards.
Andrii