[QE-users] Oscillating volume in VC-MD

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Thu Nov 18 17:21:10 CET 2021

Dear Andrii,

this might be related to the fact that the more harmonic a system is,
the more difficult it is to thermalize it - since it's anharmonicity
that shuffles excitations.

[If you have a system of harmonic oscillators, the populations are good
quantum numbers, i.e. they are constant of motions. A good starting
point is the literature about Nose-hoover chains, disucssing these
difficulties in thermalization.]

In your case, you have low-ish temperatures, and you start from a cell
that has probably a small non-zero pressure, so it oscillates for a long
time like a pendulum around its equilibrium volume, with very weak
couplings.

				nicola