[Pw_forum] questions about vc-relax or geomtry

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Tue Aug 21 06:27:06 CEST 2007

  the variable cell shape MD part in PWscf is based on Renata Wentzcovitch's
code, described in R.M. Wentzcovitch, PRB 44, 2358 (1991).
  Parrinello-Ramhan MD is also available from the same code.
  Notice however that the meaning of cell-mass in the two formulations is
not the same. For a discussion of these issues one should look at the
original references.
   The default value in PWscf are set to
   wmass=0.75*Tot_Mass/pi**2 for Parrinello Rahman MD and to
   wmass=0.75*Tot_Mass/pi**2/Omega**(2/3) for Wentzcovitch MD.
   Documentation should be corrected.

   I think that it is a good idea to start from the default value and
possibly tweak a bit around it.
   I think it is a good idea to relax the internal coordinates before
starting the  variable cell-shape optimization.
  I think that it is good policy to set all atomic masses to the same
value (for instance 1.0) if one is interested in relaxation so as to let
Hydrogen and Uranium react in the same way to the forces, as the
variation in interatomic forces is way less significant than (and
uncorrelated with) the variation of atomic masses.
   I think that one should gain some idea what the proper time step
should be with some short MD (undamped) run to estimate the period of
free oscilaltions.
   Similar systems are likely to need similar time-steps.

   The damped dynamics performs a quickmin-style damping: at each step
the velocity (of the internal coordinates or of the cell) is projected on
the direction of the forces (and stress). When they happen to have a
negative projection the corresponding velocity is stopped. No damping
factor is needed.

   Hope this helps,

    stefano

PS: the part of the code dealing with cell dynamincs is fairly
independent from the rest of the code: only some information
on the current and previous atomic&cell positions and forces&stress
values are needed at each iteration.
Whoever has the perfect, plug-and-play, easy-to-use, robust, efficient,
well documented variable-cell-shape enthalpy minimizer is most welcome to
provide it to the community. It will be relatively easy to add this
functionality. thanks.