[QE-users] Expectation values of total angular momentum in SOC case

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jan 23 17:00:27 CET 2020

Dear Guido,

no problem! Input is welcome and I also wanted to know if my reasoning
is wrong and in this case more people can help better - it's like the
"Ask the Audience" joker in "Who wants to be a millionaire" :D

The spin expectation values can be calculated for each k point like in a
text book. The expectation value of the Pauli matrices with the spinor
wave functions.
And I use this to get a Hamiltonian consisting of the Pauli matrices and
with k-dependent prefactors. But the length of the spin vector (i.e.,
the vector with the 3 expectation values Sx, Sy, Sz) is not 1/2 but
0.468 in the TMD heterostructure at and close to the conduction-band
minimum. I expected 1/2 like in the first system I calculated.

That's why I was thinking if only the length of the spin vector for the
whole band is 1/2... How to do the averaging in this case? Or is it due
to SOC and only the total angular momentum makes sense? How to define
this for a band and not an atom?

Concerning the actual calculation: this is done in
PP/src/compute_sigma_avg.f90 and seems to be correct... Or is there
something missing in the PAW case which is not important for US-PP?

Thomas

email: thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de