[QE-users] Expectation values of total angular momentum in SOC case

Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Thu Jan 23 17:09:39 CET 2020

Hey Lorenzo,

There are definitely regions in the BZ where the spin is restricted to
certain directions but away from these high-symmetry points (or lines)
it is pointing in different directions. For example at the K point it
needs to point in the z direction. And I see this in the results -
expectation values of Sx and Sy are zero and Sz is 0.47. But 0.47 for an
s=1/2 particle? This is what I don't understand but which might be due
to SOC (I thought)... But then, why it is like this in a TMD
heterostructure but not in HfNCl (same BZ) where I see 0.499?

Thomas

--
Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
Wilhelm-Ostwald-Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry

Tel:  +49 (0)341 97 36456

email: thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de