[QE-users] Computer Hardware Question

Appleton, Robert J rapplet at calstatela.edu
Fri Feb 7 20:22:43 CET 2020

Hello users,

My research lab at CSULA is in the process of purchasing a new machine and I was wondering if the community might help. Our main question at this point is will buying an AMD based workstation as opposed to our traditional Intel based workstations cause any issues with compatibility concerning software like QE that are compiled in FORTRAN. There are clear financial advantages to choosing AMD as far getting more computational power for the same price as an Intel machine (if I am wrong on this please correct me). I apologize this question is specific to the usage of the QE code but I feel this forum is still an appropriate place for this discussion.

I encourage all replies and am thankful in advance,

Robert Appleton
CSULA Condensed Matter Physics