[QE-users] Computer Hardware Question

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 12:50:02 CET 2020

There is no problem of compatibility between QE and AMD CPUs. What I heard
is that compiler and mathematical library support for AMD CPUs is lagging
with respect  to Intel CPUs. This recent message however may be of interest
for you:

https://lists.quantum-espresso.org/pipermail/users/2020-February/043979.html
Paolo

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 8:23 PM Appleton, Robert J <rapplet at calstatela.edu>
wrote:

> Hello users,
>
> My research lab at CSULA is in the process of purchasing a new machine and
> I was wondering if the community might help. Our main question at this
> point is will buying an AMD based workstation as opposed to our traditional
> Intel based workstations cause any issues with compatibility concerning
> software like QE that are compiled in FORTRAN. There are clear financial
> advantages to choosing AMD as far getting more computational power for the
> same price as an Intel machine (if I am wrong on this please correct me). I
> apologize this question is specific to the usage of the QE code but I feel
> this forum is still an appropriate place for this discussion.
>
> I encourage all replies and am thankful in advance,
>
> Robert Appleton
> CSULA Condensed Matter Physics

Phone +39-0432-558216, fax +39-0432-558222