[QE-users] problem using vc-relax with organic crystal structure

Cuocci Corrado corrado.cuocci at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:15:10 CET 2020

I have determined the crystal structure of new organic compound from
X-ray powder diffraction data.

First of all, I used quantum espresso to validate my new structure in a
'relax' calculation obtaining a result in a good agreement with the
experimental structure.

In a second step I tried to perform a 'vc-relax' but in this case the
result seems chemically unreasonable: I observed a large variation of
the cell parameters, final density too high for this type of compound,
short intermolecular distances.
Input and output files can be downloaded from:
https://cloud.ba.cnr.it/index.php/s/5RmA7MqA9gJeRdx/download
https://cloud.ba.cnr.it/index.php/s/qmnAwM5JeqDnHdG/download

My experience in the use of the program is limited and I suspect I have
made some mistakes.
Do you have any suggestions to improve the calculation?

Thanks a lot.
Corrado
Cuocci Corrado
Istituto di Cristallografia - CNR