[QE-users] problem using vc-relax with organic crystal structure

Claudio A. Perottoni caperott at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 19:38:40 CET 2020

Dear Corrado,

The ecutwfc in your input file seems a bit small. You may try using
https://www.materialscloud.org/work/tools/qeinputgenerator to generate an
input file for optimizing the crystal structure of your compound.
Best regards,
Claudio

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 3:15 PM Cuocci Corrado <corrado.cuocci at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have determined the crystal structure of new organic compound from
> X-ray powder diffraction data.
>
> First of all, I used quantum espresso to validate my new structure in a
> 'relax' calculation obtaining a result in a good agreement with the
> experimental structure.
>
> In a second step I tried to perform a 'vc-relax' but in this case the
> result seems chemically unreasonable: I observed a large variation of
> the cell parameters, final density too high for this type of compound,
> short intermolecular distances.
> Input and output files can be downloaded from:
> https://cloud.ba.cnr.it/index.php/s/5RmA7MqA9gJeRdx/download
> https://cloud.ba.cnr.it/index.php/s/qmnAwM5JeqDnHdG/download
>
> My experience in the use of the program is limited and I suspect I have
> made some mistakes.
> Do you have any suggestions to improve the calculation?
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Corrado
> Cuocci Corrado
> Istituto di Cristallografia - CNR