[Pw_forum] Looking for some guidance with failing tests

Paolo Giannozzi p.giannozzi at gmail.com
Sat May 27 22:14:23 CEST 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Barry Moore <moore0557 at gmail.com> wrote:

> pw_b3lyp b3lyp-O
> pw_dft dft8
> pw_noncolin noncolin
> noncolin-constrain_atomic
> noncolin-constrain_total
> pw_relax relax-bfgs_ndim3
> pw_pawatom paw-vcbfgs
> pw_vdw vdw-d
> vdw1
> vdw2
> vdw5
> vdw6
> pw_xdm xdm

These are exactly the tests that give some small discrepancies. It is quite
possible that some references have not been updated. I am no longer
following what is happening in testing and hope that somebody will
eventually take over this aspect.

I grabbed b3lyp-O.in and ran this numerous times with different settings
> (conv_thr and electron_maxstep), different numbers of processors (1-8), and
> larger cutoffs (doubled ecutwfc and ecutfock).

if you change the cutoffs, you get different results, for sure.

I get a different result every time AND on some numbers of processors the
> SCF doesn't converge... I also noticed that the oxygen atom is slightly
> offset from center and moving it to the origin helps (the convergence
> issues on differing processors remains). I was hoping if you could comment
> on these tests too.

if you have a case in which two different runs for the same data give
significantly different results, please provide an input an the related
outputs.

Paolo