[Pw_forum] Calculation for determining Band Inversion due to Spin Orbit Coupling.

Marrazzo Antimo antimo.marrazzo at epfl.ch
Sun Jan 22 12:17:46 CET 2017

Dear Mohammed,

once you compute the projected k-resolved DOS (projwfc.x, Wannier90, you name it...) the “procedure” has very little to do with Quantum Espresso  and much more with theory of topological insulators.
Hence, I suggest you to give a look at some review papers on the subject and spend some time on them. A good recent one is https://doi.org/10.1103/RevModPhys.88.021004 (have a look at Fig.1 for instance, it is quite clear) but there are many others.
The band inversion is literally an inversion of the character of bands (e.g. an s-band and a p-band, or a p-band and a d-band, ...), that happens in a small region in k-space. So you have two bands crossing each other with well defined orbital character and in a small region of k-space (for instance around the Gamma point) one of the two band (for instance an s-band) gets the character of the other band (e.g. p-band) and viceversa (Fig. 1 is quite perspicuous). Actually, you can have band inversion even without spin-orbit coupling; however SOC is quite fundamental to open a gap.

HTH

Antimo Marrazzo
Doctoral Assistant
EPFL STI IMX THEOS