[Pw_forum] Negative phonon frequencies at gamma point

Marton vormar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 05:40:31 CEST 2017

Hi Pablo,

Upon a quick glance your inputs look reasonable to me (although your pw.x
convergence thresholds are really really unreasonably too tight) so this is
just a wild guess but it could happen that the relaxation of the cluster
converged to a saddle point of the potential energy surface instead of a
local minimum (maybe due to the high initial symmetry of your structure).

If this is indeed the reason you could try to displace the cluster along
the mode with imaginary frequency to gently push it down the hill. Another
approach would be to do a short MD or an even simpler approach would be to
apply random and small displacements to the initial atomic positions just
to remove the high symmetry. I'm not sure if it is related but there are
hydrogens on the surface of your cluster that repel each other: it was
suggested in some early papers that surface reconstruction (=removal of
those hydrogens and formation of long Si-Si bonds) could be favorable on
these tiny clusters, too (similar to the bulk case).

Again, I'm not sure if this is indeed the reason but maybe it is worth
trying!

Cheers,
Marton Voros

--