[Pw_forum] Phonon LO-TO splitting in semiconductor with smearing

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Sat Apr 14 20:38:52 CEST 2012

Dear Hans,

for a semiconductor/insulator at finite temperature you have free
electrons in the conduction band that will screen the electric field
of the LO phonons - in the adiabatic limit of the PWSCF/phonon
calculations you have no macroscopic electric field, and no LO/TO
splitting, but in the real world you might have non-adiabatic effects.

Depending on the material you'll have a wavevector/frequency
/temperature dependent dielectric function epsilon(q,omega,T) for your
electronic system that will screen more or less successfully the
electric field of the LO phonons - in the limit of very little screening
you have the full LO/TO phonon splitting of the zero-temperature
semiconductor, and in the limit of very effective screening you'll have
no splitting.

Some related ab-initio work has been done in the group of Mauri:
http://prl.aps.org/pdf/PRL/v100/i22/e226401
http://prl.aps.org/pdf/PRL/v97/i26/e266407

It would be interesting to see experimental data for LO/TO phonons
in III-V as a function of temperature or doping, to see if the screening
is really effective or not. If you search and find them, please share!

			nicola