[Pw_forum] about the creation of supercell with different tails

Ngoc Linh Nguyen nnlinh at sissa.it
Mon Feb 1 10:37:45 CET 2010

patriot pershing wrote:
> dear
>  but the problem is the creation of supercell because i would do DFT
> calculation on supercell with differents atom number such as ; 2x2x2
> or 3x3x3  but i don't know i should do to realise this using pwgui for
> this reason i would ask some help if it is possible.
The pwgui can not automatically create the supercell for your model.
    In order to create a supercell,  1) you should consider the
structure of  ZnS that you want to study. 2) ether by defining
CELL_PARAMETERS or alat numbers, you would have a suitable supercell. 3)
The positions of atoms in supercell will be calculated by hand in order
to agree with the side of supercell.
   I would like to attach an example of a supercell 2x2x3 to make it clear.
> for the pw.x and ph.x
> the line command was:
> pw.x <ZnS.scf.in <http://ZnS.scf.in>> ZnS.scf.out and the same for
> phononcalculations but no thing happen
I think, the problem come from that you have not configure for
executable  pw.x and ph.x.
   Let go to Run (of pwgui) go to Configure&Runccalculation+XcrySden's
Display, in Specify pw.x (or ph.x) specify Excutable "pw.x" by linking
to the directory where pw.x (or ph.x) is stored.
   If the problem does not come from that thing, let try run by command:
   example:  ~/espresso-4.1/bin/pw.x <input>output   . If it again does
not work, check the error, and post the  note on Pw_forum.

Good luck.

Linh