[Pw_forum] error: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables

Masoud Nahali masoudnahali at live.com
Mon Feb 1 17:45:48 CET 2010

Dear Quantum Espresso Users

 I had installed Quantum Espresso previously on my AMD (3 core)
 parallel. but Now I get an error !!
 I have installed Intel Compilers (version 11) included fort, icc,
 icpc, and Math Kernel; and parallelized them by lam successfully.
 my operating system is OpenSUSE 11.2 (64 bit). Also mpif77 and
 mpicc work well on my 3 core AMD.

I have installed ACML also, that is not necessary when we have MKL.

 but error: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables !!

 linux-4koa:~/Install/QSPRESSO4.1.2/espresso-4.1.2 # ./configure
 MPIF90=mpif77 F77=mpif77 CC=mpicc --enable-parallel
 checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
 checking architecture... x86_64
 checking for ifort... ifort
 checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name...
 configure: error: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables
 See `config.log' for more details.

 with and without --enable-parallel I saw the same error. anyhow it is
 amazing that I had installed parallel Quantum Espresso on this AMD and
 using
 CentOS5.4 (64 bit) as the Operating system.

 This is Ngoc Linh Nguyen's solution :
The problem could come from Fortran 77 compiler.
You say that the Intel Compilers (version 11) included ifort, icc ...
has been installed, so let try compiling without specifying "F77=mpif77
CC=mpicc".

but this can not help me, and the error remained.

Someone here suggested me below lines but the error remained:

linux-76gb:~/LinSoft/QSPRESSO4.1.2/espresso-4.1.2 # ./configure MPIF90=mpif77 F77=ifort CC=icc –enable-parallel
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking architecture... x86_64
checking for ifort... ifort
checking for Fortran 77 compiler default output file name... configure: error: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Is it really necessary to install a F77 compiler?
I think that the ifort is sufficient !! No ?!!

I appreciate so much if you help me. Many thanks

Masoud Nahali
SUT
Physical Chemistry