[Pw_forum] dos

Stefano Baroni baroni at sissa.it
Wed May 6 19:03:23 CEST 2009

Cyrille: I totally agree with you, of course. What I was questioning
is the relevance of taking averages of pdos centered around different
centers, not the concept of PDOS itself
.
Concerning Berlusconi's brain, I think that's perfectly OK. What is
probably not is the brain of those who find his behavior appropriate.

SB

On May 6, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Cyrille Barreteau wrote:

> [...]
> But in many cases  the local PDOS can be very useful to analyze DFT
> results:
>   -local magnetism
>  -surface reactivity
> not to mention transport properties (STM images etc....)
>
> cyrille

> Cyrille Barreteau  | phone : +33 (0)1 69 08 29 51
> CEA Saclay         | fax   : +33 (0)1 69 08 84 46
> DSM/IRAMIS/SPCSI   | email cyrille.barreteau at cea.fr
> Batiment 462       |
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex  FRANCE
>          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> http://iramis.cea.fr/Images/Pisp/cbarreteau/cbarreteau_fr.html
>

> Stefano Baroni wrote:
>
>> I am still rather skeptical. If you apply your reasoning to the free
>> electron gas, it seems to me that you would obtain rather weird (to
>> say the least) results. I may be wong, and finally the choice on how
>> to analyze your data is yours. SB

>>> I agree with what you say, Stefano, about taking the expectation
>>> value of the angular
>>> momentum in a periodic system, but summing the PDOS of selected
>>> atoms
>>> can lead to
>>> meaningful and sometimes very useful results, in some cases.
>>> I usually see the PDOS as an indicator of how much the Bloch states
>>> retain a kind of
>>> "atomic character" in the solid (so that in this case summing PDOS
>>> of
>>> equivalent atoms is
>>> the more meaningful thing, as Lex pointed out), but also as a way to
>>> identify the symmetry
>>> of states.
>>> If you place a molecule, a nanowire or maybe even a surface with
>>> slab
>>> geometry in a wise
>>> manner in your (super-)cell you can get many information from the
>>> PDOS (summed or not).
>>> Obviously, it does not make much sense to sum the s,p,d PDOS of all
>>> atoms in the system in
>>> general (but in some cases it may), so that's why you cannot find it
>>> directly in the
>>> output from projwfc.
>>> It's your task to select over which atoms you can do a sum (or an
>>> average) of the PDOS
>>> (and also placing the atoms in a smart way, first). I think you can
>>> write a script in
>>> awk/perl/whatever, or even a small fortran program, which reads PDOS
>>> from individual files
>>> associated to the selected atoms and sums the corresponding rows.
>>>
>>> Gabriele

>> ---
>> Stefano Baroni - SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS National Simulation Center -
>> Trieste
>> http://stefano.baroni.me [+39] 040 3787 406 (tel) -528 (fax) /
>> stefanobaroni (skype)
>>
>> La morale est une logique de l'action comme la logique est une morale
>> de la pensée - Jean Piaget
>>
>> Please, if possible, don't  send me MS Word or PowerPoint attachments

---