[Pw_forum] newbie update

JR Schmidt schmidt at chem.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 4 22:32:48 CET 2009

> Out of curiosity, what behaviour do you see from MKL that it doesn't
> obey OMP_NUM_THREADS? I ask, because that's what I'm using, and would
> like to make sure it's behaving right.

I investigated using ps, which with appropriate options ('ps axms' on
Linux, I believe) will dump out info on threads for each process.  I was
seeing lots of threads created for each QE process, regardless
OMP_NUM_THREADS (I set it in my profile, so it should have stuck around
when executed by mpirun).   I noticed that MKL 10.0 also has
MKL_NUM_THREADS as well, which didn't seem to work either.  At least
this should let you investigate.

In either case, linking the serial version solved all my issues.

--
J.R. Schmidt
Assistant Professor of Chemistry

Phone: (608) 262-2996