[Q-e-developers] PHonon Module strange directory structure

Filippo SPIGA filippo.spiga at quantum-espresso.org
Thu Mar 24 17:39:53 CET 2016

Dear Michael,

On Mar 24, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Michael Banck <mbanck at debian.org> wrote:
> I complained about that in the past I think, the PHonon tarball has multiple top-level directories, which is not best practises for a release tarball of a project. This also breaks Debian's multiple-upstream-tarballs handling, so I have to repack the PHonon tarball manually for each release.
>
> It might work for the automatic plugin download and build, but it is not really a great way to package it in my opinion.

Quantum ESPRESSO is packaged and distributed for people who mainly download it and compile it on laptops, workstations and HPC clusters. There is a reason behind the way it is structured however we are open to suggestions to improve it. we evaluate every suggestion considering the needs and requirements of the wider QE community.

Fixing the fact that it is not "Debian-friendly" in the way a Debian package maintainer would like to see it distributed... well... it is not a priority and it is not a concern.

Best Regards

--
Mr. Filippo SPIGA, M.Sc.
Quantum ESPRESSO Foundation

*****
Disclaimer: "Please note this message and any attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorized recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of any error in transmission."