[Q-e-developers] PHonon Module strange directory structure

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Thu Mar 24 18:06:38 CET 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 04:39:53PM +0000, Filippo SPIGA wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2016, at 4:17 PM, Michael Banck <mbanck at debian.org> wrote:
> > I complained about that in the past I think, the PHonon tarball has
> > multiple top-level directories, which is not best practises for a
> > release tarball of a project. This also breaks Debian's
> > multiple-upstream-tarballs handling, so I have to repack the PHonon
> > tarball manually for each release.
> >
> > It might work for the automatic plugin download and build, but it is
> > not really a great way to package it in my opinion.
>
> Quantum ESPRESSO is packaged and distributed for people who mainly
> download it and compile it on laptops, workstations and HPC clusters.
> There is a reason behind the way it is structured however we are open
> to suggestions to improve it. we evaluate every suggestion considering
> the needs and requirements of the wider QE community.

I don't question the way QE is packaged, I question the specific way the
PHonon module is packaged:

$ tar xf ../PHonon-5.3.0.tar.gz
$ ls
PHonon  PlotPhon  QHA

I.e. there are three top-level directories in the tarball which is
rather unusual for packaged software (and I've seen a lot of it).

The other QE modules don't do that.

> Fixing the fact that it is not "Debian-friendly" in the way a Debian
> package maintainer would like to see it distributed... well... it is
> not a priority and it is not a concern.

Right, I only mentioned Debian as an example, and as I said, I can
work-around it.

Michael