[Q-e-developers] smearing style

Jiqiang Li jqli14 at fudan.edu.cn
Sun Sep 20 04:29:38 CEST 2015

Dear Stefano,
       The system is a semiconductor, but it is +1 charged. Pwscf forces me to set a value for degauss. I want to evaluate the <f|dVtot/dR|i>, where the |i> and |f> refer to the wavefunctions of valence band maximum (VBM) and the isolated state induced by defect in the band gap, respectively. I found that the related wavefucntions change a lot when the weights (occupations) of the highest bands change. By the way, I am performing a Gamma point only calculation for a large supercell with a lattice constant exceeding 10 Angstrom.
        I believe the many quantities (such as total energy) do not change significantly when the occupations of highest states vary, because contribution from these states is relatively small than that from the rest states. So I am wondering whether it is normal that wavefunctions of highest occupied states change remarkably when the occupations of highest states vary.

Best regards!
Jiqiang