[Q-e-developers] smearing style

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Wed Sep 30 07:08:12 CEST 2015

dear Jiqiang Li,
   the VBM is probably degenerate and depending of minute details (like
the smearing) which state comes last can be randomly assigned.
   It would make more sense to compute some density of state related
quantity adding contribution from all states (weighted with
a smeared delta-function)   \sum_i \delta(e_i-e_VBM)|<f|dVtot/dR|i>|^2 /
\sum_i \delta(e_i-e_VBM).
   i think this should be more stable.

   there are options in the pp.x tool to plot a single wavefunction or
the locally density of states at the Fermi energy. This could be easily
modified to compute ldos(e_VBM) as a function of e_VBM as a parameter.
And you could see if the problem is related to degeneracy.

  regards,
stefano