[Q-e-developers] smearing style

stefano de gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Sep 19 22:07:31 CEST 2015

Dear Jiqianq
  the answer to your question depends on which physical quantity you
want to calculate.
  Is the state you want to study spatially localized ? is it an isolated
(narrow band) in a band energy gap ? are you interested in the shallow
donor states formed by the holes at the bottom of the conduction band of
a doped semiconductor ? Or is your system a metal ?
  clarifying to yourself what is the question you want to answer will
help you to figure out how to compute a physically meaningful number.

stefano