[Q-e-developers] 5.1 Tarball issues

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Thu May 29 23:55:02 CEST 2014

Hi,

thanks for the quick response.

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:23:53PM +0200, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:
> 1. The proper place for PlotPhon/ and QHA/ is inside PHonon/ in my
>    opinion. Actually they should be both merged with other phonon
>    utilities, but it takes time, effort, and I feel a little bit
>    embarrassed in making major changes to PlotPhon and QHA, since
>    their author is no longer with us.

OK, I see.  I tested this now and it indeed fails with the current
Debian setup, so I had to split up the PHonon tarball into three
tarballs (Phonon, PlotPhon and QHA) manually.

> 2. I hadn't noticed that PWgui is ready for automatic downloading
>    and should follow the same logic of other packages. I have updated
>    the PWgui package, removing the espresso-5.1/ directory.

Thanks!

> 3. The capitalization of subdirectories comes from old problems with
>    "make something" not working if directory something/ was present.
>    I have no strong opinions on this: I have just followed what has
>    been done until now. I would prefer not to change directory names,
>    though.

Right, I wouldn't change the directory names, but maybe changing the
tarball file names to be consistent with the directory names inside them
would be in order.  After all, there are some tarballs with capital
letters in them already, like GWW.

I have also found another serious problem:

4. The TDDFPT tarball contains a Java application which ships (partly)
no source.  There are two (binary) .jar files of the final application
in TDDFPT/ColorCalculator/ which should be removed in my opinion.
Furthermore (and more severe) the com and org subdirectories of
TDDFPT/ColorCalculator/src only contain binary .class, no .java source
files, apparently of the 3rd party JFreeChart module.  I don't see a
Java build system (like Ant or Maven) off-hand, no Makefiles are
provided either, and the top-level Makefile does not deal with it.

I understand that maybe Java is not the focus of the QE project, but
shipping binaries without source is not in line with the GPL (the
ColorCalculator has no explicit copyright so I guess it is GPL'd as
well).

I suggest to remove those 3rd party class files as it should be rather
clear for anybody interested in building the Java application themselves
what is missing.

Michael