[Q-e-developers] pp.x and dos.x crashes with "memory allocation"

pari shok parishok at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 17:11:54 CET 2011

Dear All,
I have a problem and I really really appreciate if anybody could help me.
I downloaded QE in two machines:
intel (R) pentium (R) 4 cpu 3 GHz with total memory 2GB, and
intel (R) core (TM) i7 cpu 870 @2.93 GHz, with 4GB total memory.
everything is working perfectly well with the first machine (with
espresso-4.1.2), but dos.x and pp.x both crash with "out of memory/ memory
allocation" error in the second machine for big structures (espresso-4.2.1
and espresso-4.2). It should be noted that pw.x works properly and the
"memory allocation" error happens just for dos and post processing.
I downloaded ATLAS and modified "make.sys" accordingly but it didn't help. I
used "ulimit -s unlimited" command, it didn't help either.
I have been sending emails for months to all the QE email address, but
nobody sent a reply yet, although I subscribed for the forum.
I would be thankful if anyone of you could help me in this regard.
Thanks a lot.
Pari Shok,
PhD candidate
UMD