[Wannier] k-gradient implementation

Junfeng Qiao qiaojunfeng at outlook.com
Tue Nov 7 11:38:04 CET 2023

Hi Lun,

I did some experimentations with bvectors some while ago, as far as I understand, in principle, the bvectors can be independent of k-points. However, W90 sorts the bvecotors such that they are ordered according to some rules: this removes some arbitrariness so that the bvectors thus the MMN file can be generated in a deterministic way, i.e., you could run wannier90.x multiple times and there won't be collision between the current bvectors and the ones in MMN file.

The rules are somewhat difficult to explain in plain sentence, the best resource should be the src/kmesh.F90 file. In short, (at each kpoint) the bvectors are first sorted by their norm in ascending order, then by the index of the supercell used to generate a large mesh for searching bvectors, then the index of the kpoints.

You could also manually write a nnkp file with fixed bvector ordering at each kpoint, then use that nnkp to compute MMN file, then restart Wannierization with such bvector order. As long as bvector orderings during the whole process are consistent, there will be no issue.

Best,
Junfeng

THEOS, EPFL