[Wannier] Hermiticity of Berry potential matrix

David Vanderbilt dhv at physics.rutgers.edu
Sun Jun 4 16:28:12 CEST 2023

Lun Yue,

As far as the implementation is concerned, I hope some of my
collaborators who are closer to the code will answer you.

My feeling is that, once the Hermiticity is enforced, you are
just dealing with the intrinsic presence of the mesh
discretization error, and if this error is a problem for you,
maybe the only path is to increase the mesh density.

However, I think there could be a way to make the A(q) matrix
Hermitian from the start.  Let M_nm(q) = <u_nq|u_m,q+b> be the
overlap matrix between the two sets of states, then obtain its
"unitary part" U_mn(q), defined by doing the singular value
decomposition M = V Sigma W^dagger and setting U = V W^dagger.
Then I guess set A = i ln(U), where this is the matrix log.
I think this is the same at leading order in b, but is guaranteed
to be Hermitian.  It's a bit heavier computationally, though,
as several matrix operations are needed.

In the end, however, I'm not sure if this would solve your
problem; it could be that you really just have to reduce the
mesh spacing if you need higher accuracy.

David