[Wannier] Vanderbilt and Resta online lectures - CECAM-MARVEL "Classics in molecular and materials modelling"

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Wed Mar 10 12:12:37 CET 2021

Dear all,

this might be of interest to many of you - David Vanderbilt and Raffaele
Resta will present two online live talks and an interview on "Berry
phases in condensed matter physics", on Mar 23 2021, at 3pm Central
European Time (for those in the US, note that the country will be on
summer time then, while Europe is still on winter time).

Happy viewing,

             nicola marzari

    CECAM-MARVEL "Classics in molecular and materials modelling"

In this series, organized jointly by CECAM <https://www.cecam.org/>
(Centre Européen de Calcul Atomique et Moléculaire) and the MARVEL
<https://nccr-marvel.ch/> Center on Computational Design and Discovery
of Novel Materials, methods that have become fundamental tools in
computational physics and chemistry will be presented by their
originators at a level appropriate for master and graduate students. The
lectures will be followed by an interview with the presenters: we’ll ask
them to recall for us the period, problems, people and circumstances
that accompanied the creation of milestone methods and algorithms that
we now routinely use.

We hope that you will be able to join us and share with us this unusual
and interesting opportunity to learn first hand from pioneers who have
contributed significantly to our field and to get to know better the
history and anecdotes behind work that is now recorded in books.

*David Vanderbilt* (Rutgers University) & *Raffaele Resta* (IOM-CNR
Democritos, Trieste):
/Berry phases in condensed matter physics
/March 23, 2021 – 15:00-17:45 (CET) [at this date, this is 10:00 EDT or
07:00 PDT]

https://epfl.zoom.us/j/83512387218 <https://epfl.zoom.us/j/83512387218>
   Passcode: 4628

15:00–Introduction
15:10–Conceptual Aspects of the Theory of Electric Polarization and
Orbital Magnetization (D. Vanderbilt)
16:00–Break
16:10–Electric Polarization, Orbital Magnetization, and Other
Geometrical Observables (R. Resta)
17:00–Interview and recollections
17:45–End

Abstracts and details
<https://nccr-marvel.ch/events/classics-resta-vanderbilt>

Mark your calendars for the following event:

*Daan Frenkel* (University of Cambridge) & *Tony Ladd* (University of
Florida)
May 20, 2021 – 15:00-17:45 (CEST) [at this date, this is 09:00 EDT or
06:00 PDT]

Details will be announced here
<https://nccr-marvel.ch/events/classics-frenkel-ladd>

http://psi-k.net/events/cecam-marvel-classics-in-molecular-and-mate
<http://psi-k.net/events/cecam-marvel-classics-in-molecular-and-mate>

Director, National Centre for Competence in Research NCCR MARVEL, EPFL
http://theossrv1.epfl.ch/Main/Contact http://nccr-marvel.ch/en/project