[Wannier] Unitary property of U^{dis}

Hung Pham phamx494 at umn.edu
Wed Mar 4 02:15:01 CET 2020

Hello Che-Hong,

I think it is possible that the U_dis matrix wasn't read and stored
properly. U and U_dis matrix must be unitary.
And the orthogonality of U_dis is always checked internally using the
*internal_check_orthonorm()* function in *disentangle.F90 *as Arash
mentioned.
I just included a function to read wannier90 U_matrices (either U_mat or
U_mat_opt) in my MCU <https://hungpham2017.github.io/mcu/index.html#>
package. Please see the function here
<https://github.com/hungpham2017/mcu/blob/master/mcu/wannier90/utils.py#L53>
.

The unitary of U or U_dis can be checked by using a simple python script:

import numpy as np
import mcu
kpts, U_kpts = mcu.read_U_matrix("wannier90_u_dis.mat")
nkpts, nband, nwann = U_kpts.shape
for i, kpt in enumerate(kpts):
    is_unitary = np.linalg.norm(U_kpts[i].T.conj() @ U_kpts[i] -
np.eye(nwann)) < 1.e-8
    print("kpt = {0:6.3f} {1:6.3f} {2:6.3f} ;Is U_kpt unitary?:
{3}".format(kpt[0], kpt[1], kpt[2], is_unitary))

I attached the in/out files from my testing on the MoS2 layer so you can
check it out yourself.
Let me know if it solves your problem.

Best,
Hung