[Wannier] Berry connection from Wannier functions

giovanni.cistaro at uam.es giovanni.cistaro at uam.es
Fri Nov 8 18:10:24 CET 2019

Hello,
I'm trying to use Wannier90 in order to calculate the Berry connection
in graphene (in the wannier basis) starting from eq. 23 in the paper
"Maximally localized Wannier functions: Theory and applications" by
Marzary et al, Rev. of Mod. Phys., 84.
I got stuck when I found that the Berry connection calculated from my
_tb.dat file is not hermitian.
I found out that this is related to the output of wannier90: one
expect that in order for the Berry connection to be Hermitian the
position operator in the wannier basis has to satisfy the property:

<0 m|r|R n> = <0 n|r|-R m>*

but the matrix elements that I can see in my file don't satisfy this property.
I was wondering if you are aware of this problem and you know how to solve it.

Looking at the wout file, I found out that the wannier functions |0n>
are not centered at the R=0 unit cell. Can this be the problem? How
can I impose the centre of the wannier functions?
I attach my _tb.dat and .wout files.
Thank you
Giovanni Consalvo Cistaro
PhD at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid