[Wannier] hidden actions taken by wannier90?

jon jun.physics at gmail.com
Fri May 8 20:30:25 CEST 2009

Dear Prof. Marzari,

Let me see whether I interpret your paper right. Basically, for a crystal
with lower symmetry, MLWS could still have arbitrariness in choosing its
form. Thus, introducing a new criterion by minimizing <r^2> could further
reduce the arbitrariness, but not fully remove it. So, is this what you mean
by "to recover symmetries that are not built in in the second-moment
minimization"?

I guess the then relevant question related to my problem would be: is
minimization on <r^2> implemented in the wannier90 code? To help understand
the issue better, I would ask two more questions: is this minimization
equivalent to attempts to build in lattice symmetry further, or in other
words, is the removal of arbitrariness equivalent in some sense to
restoration of crystal symmetry for the wannier states? Is there logic
behind if this equivalence holds?

Thanks for your kind help,

Sincerely,
Jon