[QE-users] sternheimer_kernel: root not converged in phonon calculation

RABONE Jeremy jeremy.rabone at get.omp.eu
Fri Mar 22 16:45:37 CET 2024

Hello again,

  After some further tests (and attempts to calculated electronic band structure), there seems to be something spectacularly broken in calculations where series of q-points (phonon) or k-points (bands) are used. The points where failures occur all work fine if they are calculated as single points, but calculations along a line or over the Brillouin zone always throw one or other of the errors to do with diagonalisation (too many bands unconverged or loss of positive definiteness or root not converged) at some point. The failures all happen at the same point in any given calculation but what is weird is that one can, for example, do a band calculation with 7 k-points with 10 points along each line and it will fail at point 23 but doing the same calculation with just the line between the first 2 k-points it fails on the 4th point...

Is it the case that the wavefunctions from the previous calculation are used as starting point for the next one ? If so is there a way to stop this and always restart from random wavefunctions ?

Kind regards,

Jeremy