[QE-users] "Segmentation fault" error in versions 7.2 and 7.1 of QE

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Sat May 20 21:56:45 CEST 2023

0. I use since several years the Windows Subsystem for Linux as my main
develop platform, so it works, no doubts.

1. Please verify whether this explains your problem:
https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e/-/wikis/Support/Segfault-with-gfortran-and-WSL

2. "configure" no longer recognizes options "--with-internal-blas" and
"--with-internal-lapack". If you want to try whether the problem arises
from pre-(badly-)compiled blas and lapack, edit make.inc as follows:
BLAS_LIBS = $(TOPDIR)/external/lapack/libblas.a
LAPACK = liblapack
LAPACK_LIBS = $(TOPDIR)/external/lapack/liblapack.a

3. You may also try "./configure --enable-debug". It should at least say
something more about the place where the code crashes.

Paolo

On 20/05/2023 13:23, Niccolò Damian wrote:

> You don't often get email from niccolo.damian at studenti.unipd.it. Learn
> why this is important <https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
>

> Dear Experts,
> In the previous days I have tried to install Quantum espresso version
> 7.2 in Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS app in my Windows PC (I have Windows 10)
> through Windows Subsystem for Linux.
> There I have the version 9.4.0 of gfortran.
>
> I have followed the instructions and, when I tried to check whether the
> installation was successful or not (no error messages were printed
> before), only two thirds of the tests passed, and those that failed were
> regarding (more than half of) the "pw" directories. The errors where all
> of the following form:
>
> /home/nick/Quantum_espresso/qe-7.2/test-suite/..//test-suite/run-pw.sh:
> line 52: 4169 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${PARA_PREFIX}
> ${ESPRESSO_ROOT}/bin/pw.x ${PARA_SUFFIX} -input $1 > $2 2> $3
> pw_dipole - 2dcutoff.in
> <http://2dcutoff.in/>: **FAILED**.
> Different sets of data extracted from benchmark and test.
>      Data only in benchmark: n1, ef1, p1, band, f1, e1.
>
> In the attachment you can find the run-pw.sh file, which to me doesn't
> have any problem at line 52.
> I followed then what suggested in the User Guide, recompiling with
>
> ./configure --with-internal-blas --with-internal-lapack
>
> but the result didn't change.
> I then did "make veryclean" and tried to compile and install in another
> directory (parallel to the previous one) the version 7.1, using the
> ./configure with the two options above, succeeding in the end even if I
> don't know if those options worked, since there was the message
> "configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-internal-blas,
> --with-internal-lapack".
> Anyway again, when running the tests the result was the same above.
> I tried also to run single examples but the message on terminal was (for
> both versions):
>
> Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory
> reference.
>
> Backtrace for this error:
> #0  0x7f6c32090d21 in ???
> #1  0x7f6c3208fef5 in ???
> #2  0x7f6c31ce308f in ???
> #3  0x7fffdae329fc in ???
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> that is also what I get in the output files of the tests (except for the
> last line). The output files of the examples instead did not clarify
> what the problem is, since they stopped with no useful information.
>
> I have already checked what advised here
> https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e/-/wikis/Support/Problem-downloading-pseudopotential-files <https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e/-/wikis/Support/Problem-downloading-pseudopotential-files>
> and the URLs are correct.
> I have also tried to look for a solution on the internet, but I did not
> manage to solve the problem.
>
> I kindly ask for Your help, since I do not know what to do anymore.
>
> Thank You in advance,
> [...]

Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine Italy, +39-0432-558216