[QE-users] "Segmentation fault" error in versions 7.2 and 7.1 of QE

Niccolò Damian niccolo.damian at studenti.unipd.it
Sat May 20 13:23:39 CEST 2023

 Dear Experts,
In the previous days I have tried to install Quantum espresso version 7.2
in Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS app in my Windows PC (I have Windows 10) through
Windows Subsystem for Linux.
There I have the version 9.4.0 of gfortran.

I have followed the instructions and, when I tried to check whether the
installation was successful or not (no error messages were printed before),
only two thirds of the tests passed, and those that failed were regarding
(more than half of) the "pw" directories. The errors where all of the
following form:

/home/nick/Quantum_espresso/qe-7.2/test-suite/..//test-suite/run-pw.sh:
line 52: 4169 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${PARA_PREFIX}
${ESPRESSO_ROOT}/bin/pw.x ${PARA_SUFFIX} -input $1 > $2 2> $3
pw_dipole - 2dcutoff.in: **FAILED**.
Different sets of data extracted from benchmark and test.
    Data only in benchmark: n1, ef1, p1, band, f1, e1.

In the attachment you can find the run-pw.sh file, which to me doesn't have
any problem at line 52.
I followed then what suggested in the User Guide, recompiling with

./configure --with-internal-blas --with-internal-lapack

but the result didn't change.
I then did "make veryclean" and tried to compile and install in another
directory (parallel to the previous one) the version 7.1, using the
./configure with the two options above, succeeding in the end even if I
don't know if those options worked, since there was the message "configure:
WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-internal-blas,
--with-internal-lapack".
Anyway again, when running the tests the result was the same above.
I tried also to run single examples but the message on terminal was (for
both versions):

Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory
reference.

Backtrace for this error:
#0  0x7f6c32090d21 in ???
#1  0x7f6c3208fef5 in ???
#2  0x7f6c31ce308f in ???
#3  0x7fffdae329fc in ???
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

that is also what I get in the output files of the tests (except for the
last line). The output files of the examples instead did not clarify what
the problem is, since they stopped with no useful information.

I have already checked what advised here
https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e/-/wikis/Support/Problem-downloading-pseudopotential-files
and the URLs are correct.
I have also tried to look for a solution on the internet, but I did not
manage to solve the problem.

I kindly ask for Your help, since I do not know what to do anymore.

Thank You in advance,
Niccolò Damian
Physics Master student at University of Padua