[QE-users] Fw: Yb fully relativistic pseudopotential including 5d (spdn) from psl.1.0.0

Gebre, Meba gebre2 at illinois.edu
Mon Feb 20 07:04:36 CET 2023

Dear QE community,

TLDR: I am getting "Error in routine cdiaghg" in DFT calculations of enthalpy of formation when using Yb.rel-pbe-spdn-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF pseudopotentials that I generated from the "atomic" code by A. Dal Corso. I am wondering if including the d-orbitals in Yb is problematic or if I personally did something wrong when generating the PP's.  Can you please help me identify if the error could be from the pseudopotentials I generated (attached)?

[https://res-geo.cdn.office.net/assets/mail/file-icon/png/generic_16x16.png]q6_Yb.rel-pbe-spdn-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF<https://uillinoisedu-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/gebre2_illinois_edu/EZklTzwiCRJMvmrZPsC1L_sBWB5LcQcu4jz16GV-LktYOw>
[https://res-geo.cdn.office.net/assets/mail/file-icon/png/generic_16x16.png]q7_Yb.rel-pbe-spdn-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF<https://uillinoisedu-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/gebre2_illinois_edu/EfCa8cRBXJ5Ej_ZwwmndgqUBX2AqHLF7agHbQ_tX1WFcqg>

Context: I have been using pseudopotentials of the lanthanides, Sn, and P from the Quantum Espresso website from the library psl.1.0.0.UPF for some enthalpy of formation calculations on R-Sn-P ternary systems. I have previously done DFT enthalpy of formation calculations successfully with the spn variation of the Yb-PP that I downloaded from the QE website. A PP I generate using the Dal Corso code for the spn variation of Yb-PP also runs without problems.

I noticed my calculations done with Eu.rel-pbe-spn-kjpaw_psl.1.0.0.UPF have stable ternaries that are not stable when I calculate using the spdn variation of the PP. I was trying to replicate the same set of calculations with the spn and spdn PP's for Yb but could only find the spn variation online. All the lanthanides (Ce-Lu) have spdn options in the QE website except for Yb. So I generated Yb-PP's with spdn using both QE6 and QE7, and in both cases, my DFT formation energy calculations keep giving an "Error in routine cdiaghg" error.

I tried a few different ways to troubleshoot the cdiag error with the spdn PP for Yb (including increasing energy cutoffs, trying different diagonalization methods like "david" and "cg", changing diag dimension, etc.). The "Error in routine cdiaghg" persists in all cases. One possible source of this error discussed online is a bad PP. I don't know how to tell if something is wrong with a given PP by looking at the file, but if you can kindly take a look I've attached them here. The annotations before the PP file names are the source of pseudopotentials. Ie. "q6..." is generated using QE version 6.4.1 while "q7..." is generated using QE7.0.

Thanks for your time and help with this!

Best,

Meba Gebre

Graduate student

MatSE, UIUC

Grazie mille for your time and help with this!

Best,

Mebatsion Gebre (Meba)