[QE-users] Full phonon dispersion calculation not converging for 2d monolayer

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Mon Feb 13 15:16:45 CET 2023

Hi,
I'm not very expert about phonon calculations. There is no indication of
the atomic species in your files. However, you should try to visualize your
structure, to understand if it looks exactly as you expect. I tried it, and
obtained what you see in the attached figure.

Moreover, you should also check your ground state calculation, to
understand whether or not it has converged. Indeed, if you look at lines
like these ones
pert. #  1: Fermi energy shift (Ry) =     3.7082E+22    -1.2500E-01

      iter # 100 total cpu time : 78743.4 secs   av.it.: 167.3
      thresh= 1.000E-02 alpha_mix =  0.700 |ddv_scf|^2 =  3.427E+47

I would say that figures like 3.7082E+22 or 3.427E+47 do not look so
reasonable.

As for the scf calculation, where reducing mixing_beta might help in some
cases to overcome problems related with the convergence of the scf cycle,
you might try to reduce alpha_mix =  0.700. However, given the
unreasonables values printed in your output (see above), I would not be so
confident that this would solve your problem.

So, try to check all the steps of your calculation, starting from the
geometry optimization.

Giovanni

[image: image.png]
--