[QE-users] Spatial dependency of the wave functions for the spin-orbit coupling calculation

Alireza Shabani alsha at dtu.dk
Tue Dec 12 11:25:29 CET 2023

Dear Giovanni,

Thank you for your explanation. Yes, I think for the number of KS states, you are right, as the spin-orbit coupled states are twice the non-spin-orbit coupled states. But I am going to focus on just one of these states and calculate the wave function using the information in the .hdf5 file and equation psi = sigma (C_real + i C_imag) * exp(iG.r), which I know I must change a little bit because of the two-component spinor.

My question is, is it right to say for every single 'Miller Indices' in the .hdf5, we have four complex 'evc'? If so, how should we write the vector to form the desired wave function? Is it a vector with two complex components like this: (c_1 + j c_2       c_3 +j c_4) * exp(iG.r)   ,here c_i are the 'evc'.

Unfortunately, I didn’t find the mathematical description for constructing the spinor plane wave in QE, so I would appreciate it if anybody could introduce a reference for it.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Alireza Shabani
Postdoc researcher,
Denmark Technical University