[QE-users] Spatial dependency of the wave functions for the spin-orbit coupling calculation

Giovanni Cantele giovanni.cantele at spin.cnr.it
Mon Dec 11 14:13:42 CET 2023

I'm not expert about HDF5 files, however because you are seeking for wave
function coefficients, the answer might be that, as explained for example
here
https://www.quantum-espresso.org/Doc/pw_user_guide/node10.html#SECTION00043030000000000000
when spin-orbit is turned on the wave functions are two-component spinors.
This also reflect the fact that, with nelec electrons, the ground-state
density suffices nelec/2 Kohn-Sham states (using spin degeneracy) in the
absence of spin-orbit
coupling, whereas including the latter you need to compute (for
semiconductors) at least nelec states.

Giovanni

--

Giovanni Cantele, PhD