[QE-users] How does one calculate dipole moments or access (readable) wave functions from e.g. PW?

Thomas Brumme tbrumme at msx.tu-dresden.de
Wed Aug 9 11:41:33 CEST 2023

Thank you Stefano! I was actually searching for a better reference but
did not think about your Rev. Mod. Phys. which I usually suggest to our
students for reading and understanding a bit more about DFPT. Concerning
optical properties also this might be interesting:
https://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.74.601

On 8/9/23 11:30, Stefano Baroni wrote:

> Hi All. Many thanks for this interesting discussion.
>
> Thomas: the literature you recommend
> (https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2023/CP/D2CP05991F) is
> rather ill informed. It overlooks the fact that the problem of a
> proper definition of the position operator in the calculation of
> dielectric and optical properties is as old (actually older) than
> density-functional perturbation theory. None of the original
> literature is properly cited. A better informed reference, with a
> historically accurate account of the relevant literature is
> https://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.73.515
>
> Best regards – SB
>
> *From: *users <users-bounces at lists.quantum-espresso.org> on behalf of
> Thomas Brumme <tbrumme at msx.tu-dresden.de>
> *Date: *Wednesday, 9 August 2023 at 11:13
> *To: *Quantum ESPRESSO users Forum <users at lists.quantum-espresso.org>,
> Brian de Keijzer <briandekeyzer at hotmail.com>
> *Subject: *Re: [QE-users] How does one calculate dipole moments or
> access (readable) wave functions from e.g. PW?
>
> Dear Brian,
>
> Sorry to be a bit blunt but your question cannot be answered in a
> one-liner and indicates that
> you might miss a few important points.
>
> I guess you have read the input description of bands.x and since you're
> are still asking how to
> get the dipole matrix elements you are probably unaware of the fact that
> those are not well
> defined in solids. Well, at least the position operator is not well
> defined in an infinite solid
> because every point could be the origin. Thus, one has to use the
> momentum operator instead.
> (see, e.g., Eq. (7) in this paper
> https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.80.1800)
>
> I suggest to read some publications first, books, in order to understand
> what you need to do.
> This paper seems quite useful - I didn't read it carefully though but
> just found it via a quick
> Google search:
>
> https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2023/CP/D2CP05991F
>
> If you're interested in optical properties then there are many more
> things to take into account.
> A good starting point might be the pages of the Yambo code, in
> particular this:
>
> https://www.yambo-code.eu/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>
> and more specifically the thesis of Andrea Marini has a good collection
> of the equations and
> references
>
> https://www.yambo-code.eu/wiki/images/2/20/Marini_PhD.pdf
>
> In a nutshell: you need to calculate the dielectric function and then
> there are different
> approximations involved.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Thomas
>
> On 8/9/23 09:27, Brian de Keijzer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > Would anyone know how one retrieves the dipole matrix elements from
> bands.x (or in another way?)?

> [...]

Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
Theoretical chemistry
TU Dresden - KOE / 103