[QE-users] Possible resolution of previous post on mysterious ph.x error

Holzwarth, Natalie natalie at wfu.edu
Wed Oct 26 22:34:46 CEST 2022

Dear Quantum Espresso forum,
      Yesterday I noted a mysterious error in ph.x (Version 7.1) observed
for NaCl using the primitive cell.    The error was quite strange, usually
mentioning an error in  cdiaghg which is a routine in the
LAXlib directory.   I now think that it has to do with requesting too many
cores for my calculation because my error can be removed by requesting
fewer cores.     As noted in the original post,   the error did not appear
in the QE versus 6.3, so presumably LAXlib files have been changed in the
7.1 version.    I very much appreciate the fact that QE seems to adapt to
the number of nodes and cpus per node available in each run, but perhaps I
need to increase my understanding of how this works for the various
programs.   There was no problem running pw.x or ph.x for the gamma point
with 32 cores,   but ph.x failed for q /=0.    Both pw.x and ph.x  with
all q vectors seem to have run correctly with 8 cores.     Are there some
guidelines for choosing how many nodes/cores to request  ?   In any case,
  thanks for listening.       Sincerely,    Natalie Holzwarth

N. A. W. Holzwarth                                       email:
natalie at wfu.edu
Department of Physics                                  web:
http://www.wfu.edu/~natalie
Wake Forest University                                 phone:
1-336-758-5510
Winston-Salem, NC 27109 USA                     office: Rm. 300 Olin
Physical Lab