[QE-users] scf convergency depends on the number of mpi processes !!!

Mahmoud Payami Shabestari mpayami at aeoi.org.ir
Mon Nov 28 20:51:26 CET 2022

Dear Takahiro,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

As far as I know, the self-consistent values of total energy and
magnetization depends on how the spin-up and spin-dn electrons accommodate
the KS levels. That is, it depends on the value of specified "nbnd". If
choosing the number of processors affect those values, it may somehow, in a
mysterious way affects the number of KS states?!.

One practical workaround seems to be:

-For a given scf input, add the number of processors to other parameters
(such as ecutwfc, ecutrho, k-mesh, smearing (mv, mp, . . .), nbnd and so
forth. In other words, obtain the parameters for each chosen "np-value" in
mpirun.

Please correct me if I am too much out.

Bests,

Mahmoud

Hi Mahmoud,

Could you upload your input that can reproduce the issue? If you are
not able to do so, could you make a smaller input that reproduces your
issue?

Actually, I am curious about it because I had a similar issue[1] and
postponed the research. By looking into the things in common, we may
be able to find the root cause of our trouble.

[1] My question on a similar issue
https://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.quantum-espresso.org/msg42591.html

Sincerely,
Takahiro