[QE-users] Parallelization and Input/Output of wfc in QE

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Wed Nov 23 18:19:27 CET 2022

As a strict minimum, you should write an "unformatted" file, much faster
than a "formatted" one. I don't understand what you are trying to
achieve, though. You can read the QE format with a postprocessing code
(please have a look at pp_example.f90) and do whatever you like with the
Kohn-Sham orbitals, on as many processors you need, without re-writing
everything once again.

Paolo

On 23/11/2022 16:11, Riccardo Piombo uniroma1 via users wrote:
> Dear Comunity,
>
> I modified the local_dos.f90 file (see attached file) stored in the
> PP/src folder to download the wavefunctions of a system I'm currently
> studying.
>
> In particular, I'm running QE on a CINECA supercomputer because my
> system contains more than 600 atoms, and I need to run my computations
> on several nodes.
>
> My minor modification works well, but I'm facing some problems regarding
> the parallelization during the I/O.
>
> For example, If I ask my modified pp.x to write down a single wfc
> computed at gamma at fixed band index (say n=1), I obtain a file with
> 551981 real and imaginary parts of the coefficients of the Plane waves
> expansion stored.
>
> However, it takes more than 4 minutes to accomplish this task using just
> 1 node, and since the default number of bands is 5747, it takes about
> 22988 minutes = 383 hours = 15 days to download all the wfcs.
>
> Therefore, I decided to run pp.x on multiple nodes. I realized the
> number of coefficients saved in the various files is halved every time
> the number of nodes is doubled, and the same also happens when the
> values of n-tasks-per-node and CPU-per-tasks are not 1 and 48,
> respectively (each CINECA node contains 2 CPU with 24 cores each).
>
> Since I don't know how the I/O is parallelized in QE, could someone
> suggest how to modify the file so I can use more nodes and avoid that
> part of the files is not overwritten?
>
> The only parts of local_dos.f90 that I have modified are the ones
> between the following commented lines
>
> /
> /
>
> /!##################################################################//
> //!!!NEW: print wave functions in G space and corresponding G vectors//
> /
>
> /./
>
> /./
>
> /./
>
> /!!!NEW: print wave functions in G space and corresponding G vectors/
>
> /!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
>

> So each modification begins with multiple hashes and ends with numerous
> dashes.
>
> My concern is that the WRITE statements I have used are not the right
> ones when performing computations over several nodes.
>
> Do I have to open multiple files, one for each node involved?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Riccardo Piombo
>
> Post doc researcher in Condensed Matter Physics at Sapienza University
> of Rome

Univ. Udine, via delle Scienze 206, 33100 Udine Italy, +39-0432-558216