[QE-users] Parallelization and Input/Output of wfc in QE

Riccardo Piombo uniroma1 riccardo.piombo at uniroma1.it
Wed Nov 23 16:11:00 CET 2022

Dear Comunity,

I modified the local_dos.f90 file (see attached file) stored in the
PP/src folder to download the wavefunctions of a system I'm currently
studying.

In particular, I'm running QE on a CINECA supercomputer because my
system contains more than 600 atoms, and I need to run my computations
on several nodes.

My minor modification works well, but I'm facing some problems regarding
the parallelization during the I/O.

For example, If I ask my modified pp.x to write down a single wfc
computed at gamma at fixed band index (say n=1), I obtain a file with
551981 real and imaginary parts of the coefficients of the Plane waves
expansion stored.

However, it takes more than 4 minutes to accomplish this task using just
1 node, and since the default number of bands is 5747, it takes about
22988 minutes = 383 hours = 15 days to download all the wfcs.

Therefore, I decided to run pp.x on multiple nodes. I realized the
number of coefficients saved in the various files is halved every time
the number of nodes is doubled, and the same also happens when the
values of n-tasks-per-node and CPU-per-tasks are not 1 and 48,
respectively (each CINECA node contains 2 CPU with 24 cores each).

Since I don't know how the I/O is parallelized in QE, could someone
suggest how to modify the file so I can use more nodes and avoid that
part of the files is not overwritten?

The only parts of local_dos.f90 that I have modified are the ones
between the following commented lines

/
/

/!##################################################################//
//!!!NEW: print wave functions in G space and corresponding G vectors//
/

/./

/./

/./

/!!!NEW: print wave functions in G space and corresponding G vectors/

So each modification begins with multiple hashes and ends with numerous
dashes.

My concern is that the WRITE statements I have used are not the right
ones when performing computations over several nodes.

Do I have to open multiple files, one for each node involved?

Best regards,

Riccardo Piombo

Post doc researcher in Condensed Matter Physics at Sapienza University
of Rome