[QE-users] IR calculation for oriented single crystal

John Kendrick john at kendrick.me.uk
Fri Mar 18 12:48:44 CET 2022

Hi Zac,

You might look at a Python package called PDielec on GitHub (
https://github.com/JohnKendrick/PDielec ).  It has the capability of
calculating the IR spectrum (reflectance, absorption and transmission)
for single crystals either as thick slabs or thin films.  For powders it
uses an effective medium theory approach to calculating the frequency
dependent permittivity, from which the spectrum can be determined.  It
can also be used to view the phonon mode molecular and atomistic motion
and provides some basic break-down of the energy in each mode in terms
of internal and external modes.

It has an interface to several packages, including Quantum Espresso,
VASP, CRYSTAL, AbInit and CASTEP.

John